Effective Date February 2018
Personal Information We May Collect
We may collect Personal Information including name, email address, postal address, phone number, profile picture, social media ID, and similar contact information and credit card or other payment information. If you choose to provide your payment or credit card information to the Conservancy, we will use that information for the purposes for which it was provided.
How We May Collect Personal Information
The Conservancy and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
- We may collect Personal Information you provide to us over the phone, in email, through a face-to-face conversation, or through online and offline forms such as e-newsletters, surveys, donation forms, event registration/participation (including volunteering) and advocacy action alerts that you populate.
- We may use third-party postal address, phone number, and email address products to provide accurate and updated contact information.
- We may collect information from social media platforms used by you or people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms.
- We also collect information (including contact details) about individuals from third party businesses in order to contact new potential supporters and inform them about our activities, events and programs.
We may also collect information from or about you from other online and offline sources, in addition to your use of the Services or when you communicate with us.
How the Conservancy Uses Personal Information
The Conservancy and our service providers may use Personal Information to:
- Send you information regarding the Conservancy, our affiliates, and our partners.
- Process and respond to inquiries and for the purposes for which you provided the information, such as to process donations, register or renew you as a donor or supporter, purchase merchandise, or receive information about a project, special event, and service.
- Personalise the content, improve the navigability of the Services, and customise your experience on the Services, including targeted content, offers, and advertising on the Services, or via email or text message.
- Respond to your questions and comments.
- Notify you about special programs, offers, products and services that may be of interest to you, either from the Conservancy or on behalf of our affiliates or other third parties.
- Alert you to administrative information such as information regarding the Services’ features, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- Conduct surveys to measure your satisfaction with aspects of the Conservancy’s activities.
- Facilitate your participation in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information. We suggest that you read any such rules carefully.
- Analyse data, usage trend identification, promotional campaign development, audit, fraud monitoring or prevention, new product or service development, Services’ enhancement, interaction improvement, or operating and expansion purposes.
- Protect the security or integrity of the Services and the Conservancy, such as by protecting against fraud, unauthorised transactions, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorised users.
- Credit card information will be used for the purpose for which it was provided.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
How the Conservancy May Disclose Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our Service Providers: We may disclose the information we collect from you to third parties who perform functions on our behalf such as solicitation or acknowledgment of charitable gifts, aggregate analysis and marketing activities as well as professional advisors such as auditors and attorneys.
- To trusted third parties: including grantors, grantees, other charities, collaborative partners, sponsors, to meet contractual or other obligations.
- By you: If you post information or materials on our message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to users of the Services and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on the Services.
- Third party organisations: At times, we may rent or exchange names and postal addresses (but not your email address or telephone number) and giving history with third-party organisations for their own marketing purposes, consistent with your choices.
- In Connection with Business Transfers: For disclosure purposes to a third party in the event of any reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our operations, assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Other Uses and Disclosures
- Pursuant to Legal Requirements: For disclosure purposes as necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence.
- To Protect Our Website and Users: We will disclose your information when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our organisation, our employees, our Site users or others; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual. We may collect Other Information such as IP address, browser type, mobile device type, content visited while on the Websites or Apps, Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, or the duration of the use of the Services. Collecting browser activities or IP addresses, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited, are common practices, and are often performed automatically by many websites, applications and other services for such purposes as calculating usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Services. In addition:
- We may collect information from the Apps that you use. We may track and collect Apps’ usage data such as the date and time the Apps accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the Apps based on your device number.
- We may collect information that can identify the physical location of your mobile device or geographic location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signals to provide you with personalised location-based services and content.
- We may use third-party web and mobile app analytics and optimisation services to improve the Services and enhance the visitor experience by, for example, recording mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity as well as text you type in the Services.
- We may use pixel tags and other similar technologies to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services, measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about use of the Services and response rates.
- We may collect information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded.
- Aggregate information: We may share aggregate statistics and other non-personally identifiable information with third parties for marketing, advertising, research, or similar purposes. These aggregate statistics will not allow anyone to identify you.
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your location). If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We may use third-party advertising companies to address advertisements that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services and other websites, based on information relating to your access to and use of the Services and other websites. To do so, such companies may place or recognise a unique Cookie on your browser (including through use of pixel tags). They may also use these technologies, along with information they collect about your online use, to recognise you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone and a laptop.
This advertising may be directed to you because you visited or logged in to our website. When we generate this advertising, data we collect from you through online Cookies and other technologies may be combined with other de-identified data (such as a hashed, non-readable email or postal address) in order to tailor ads to you based on your preferences and other information about you. To learn more about targeted advertising, these providers, or how you may opt out, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or the DAA’s consumer choice page at http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
Your Australian Privacy Rights (and Contact Details for Australian Privacy Issues)
Please note that, for Australian donors, the types of financial and payment information we collect will depend on the payment selected (for example, credit card, debit card or direct debit information).
The Australian Privacy Act gives individuals various rights, including the right to request access to, or correction of, their personal information, and the right to make a complaint about how their personal information has been handled. If you would like to make an access or correction request, or lodge a privacy complaint, please contact our Australian Privacy Officer using the details in the contact details below.
The Privacy Officer
The Nature Conservancy
PO Box 57 Carlton South
Telephone: 03 83468602
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.
We will handle all requests, complaints and queries in accordance with any applicable requirements under Australian privacy laws. Where applicable, we may rely on exemptions under those laws (including, but not limited to, exemptions relating to related bodies corporate and employee records).
You can control collection and use of your information in the following ways:
- Personal Information Sharing with Other Organisations: You may, at any time, choose to opt out on a going forward basis of sharing your information for the purpose of renting or exchanging with unaffiliated third party organisations for their own uses by calling us at 03 8346 8602 or emailing us at email@example.com.
- Marketing Email Opt Out: You may, at any time, choose to opt out of receiving marketing-related emails by following the opt-out procedures at the bottom of our emails. We will process your request within a reasonable time, and in accordance with applicable laws.
- Mailing List: You may, at any time, choose to opt out of receiving mail from us by calling us at 03 8346 8602 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will process your request within a reasonable time, and in any event within thirty days of receipt.
- Telemarketing: You may, at any time, choose to opt out of the Conservancy’s residential telemarketing list by calling us at 03 8346 8602 or emailing us at email@example.com. Please allow 30 days for your telephone number to be removed from any programs that are currently underway.
You can access, modify, update, and delete your information as follows:
- We strive to keep our records as accurate as possible. You may, under applicable laws, have a right to access, correct, modify, or request the deletion of your Personal Information that you have previously provided to us at any time. To do so, please call us at 03 8346 8602, or contact our Australian Privacy Officer using the contact details above.
- In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
- Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a donation or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of such donation or promotion). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
- We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to complaints within a reasonable period. When you contact us, please include your email address, name, address, and telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. We will respond to your complaint as soon as reasonably practicable by making contact with you to inform you whether we have accepted your complaint, need further information or do not think we have breached any applicable privacy law requirements. We will also let you know the next steps in resolving your complaint.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident and have provided Personal Information to us, you are entitled by California law to request information regarding certain categories of Personal Information we share with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Your request should be submitted to: Attn: Member Care Team The Nature Conservancy 4245 N. Fairfax Drive Suite 100, Arlington, VA 22203. Within 30 days of receiving such a request, we will provide a response listing the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties, along with the names and addresses of those third parties, for their own direct marketing purposes during the previous year. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year, and we reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted to addresses other than the address specified herein.
How We Store Personal Information
We will hold personal information as either secure physical records, electronically on our intranet system, in cloud storage, and in some cases, records on third party servers, which may be located overseas (please see the “Cross-Border Transfer” section below for more details).
How We Protect Information
The Conservancy uses appropriate and reasonable organisational, electronic, physical, administrative, and technical measures to help safeguard Personal Information from unauthorised access or disclosure. We take these and other appropriate precautions to help ensure the security, integrity and confidentiality of customer information; however, no transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your use of the Services or engagement with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us as described in the “Your Australian Privacy Rights (and Contact Details for Australian Privacy Issues)” section above.
This Website is not directed toward children under 13 years of age nor does the Conservancy knowingly collect information from children under 13, and we request that they do not submit any Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are controlled and operated by us in Australia. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personal information.
Third Party Content and Links
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites, applications, or similar technology that are not associated with or over which the Conservancy has no control. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Statement, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices or content of these other websites and/or applications.
Unless explicitly requested, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.