Tips For a Green Holiday Season
The holidays are a time for family traditions, festive cheer….and sadly, a lot of waste.
So why not think green this year? With just a few tweaks, you can save energy, reduce waste, eat locally and be kind to our planet during the festive season – because leaving a lighter footprint during the holidays is the greatest gift we can give.
There are many easy ways that you can Go Green for the holidays. Here are a few tips:
1. Save resources by using wrapping and cards that are eco-friendly or homemade:
- Make your own cards or use the fronts of old holiday cards as gift tags
- Buy cards and envelopes made from recycled paper and printed in non-toxic inks
- Use creative materials for gift wrap such as scarves, fabric, handkerchiefs, old maps, sheet music, newspaper, or gift wrap from last season’s presents
2. Decorate with items that are energy-efficient and durable:
- Decorate with more energy efficient LED strings
- Plug your decorative indoor and outdoor lights into a timer to save electricity
- Choose durable ornaments from wood, metal, or cloth
3. Eat sustainable food and avoid disposable containers and extra packaging:
- Research sustainable food choices in your area and buy locally if possible
- Make your own food or buy snacks and beverages in bulk to avoid extra packaging
- Serve food with washable utensils, plates and glasses rather than disposable items
4. Use fewer resources when you shop and source eco-friendly presents:
- Take your own bags shopping and keep them in the car so they’re always available
- Shop online or use public transportation when shopping
- Make your own gifts: knit, sew, bake, build, or create art from reused items
- Give gifts that are durable, energy-efficient, recyclable, sustainably sourced or made of natural products
- Make a donation on behalf of your loved one rather than a physical gift
From all of us at The Nature Conservancy Australia, best wishes for a wonderful holiday season!
Become a Conservation Champion and your monthly gifts will help to achieve a healthy environment for all Australians today and for generations to come. You will be joining a special group of our most passionate and forward-thinking supporters, who are committed to conserving Australia’s natural landscapes and crucial wildlife habitats.